Adept in both stills and video arenas, the EOS M5 from Canon is a versatile mirrorless camera featuring a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor. Combined, these technologies afford a wide sensitivity range, from ISO 100-25600, along with quick performance for up to 9 fps continuous shooting and Full HD 1080p/60 video recording. The sensor's design also provides Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which offers quick and accurate phase-detection autofocus for multimedia use. This focusing system is particularly well-suited to subject tracking, and pairs with Digital IS 5-axis image stabilization for steadier, shake-free video recording.
Complementing the imaging capabilities, the camera's design is equally versatile due to the inclusion of both a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder along with a large 3.2" 1.62m-dot LCD tilting touchscreen. The touchscreen design enables Touch and Drag AF for intuitive focusing point control, and an array of additional physical dials and control buttons provide an efficient means for settings changes. Additionally, the camera sports built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device.
- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 7 Image Processor
- Both a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor are used to deliver high sensitivity and fast camera performance to suit both stills and video applications. A flexible ISO 100-25600 range suits working in a variety of lighting conditions, and the processing capabilities minimize noise for notable clarity. The processor also contributes to a fast 7 fps continuous shooting rate, which can be quickened to 9 fps with AF lock, for photographing fast-moving subjects. Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported in 60 and 50 fps frame rates. Additionally, the processor affords a fast camera startup time and short interval times between each frame for a more intuitive and efficient shooting process.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- Digital IS
- Supporting video applications, Digital IS with 5-axis image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. This benefits recording while walking or moving, and can also be used in conjunction with lenses featuring optical IS for more effective overall stabilization.
- Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A high-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder affords a bright, clear means for natural eye-level viewing to suit working in bright conditions.
- Large 3.2" 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive method for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a tilting design (85° up, 180° down) to better enable working from high and low angles.
- Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame while shooting for more precise control.
- Physical controls allow for intuitive settings adjustments, and include a front dial, quick control dial, dial function button, and exposure compensation dial. Each of these can be customized to adjust specific functions for more personalized control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.